The conservation of wildlife is carried out in the State under the following types:-
1. Ex-Situ Conservation : The wildlife is trans located/transported from their natural habitat to an area well protected from outside elements and preserved there. An example of this category is the Manipur Zoological Garden at Iroishemba, Orchid Preservation Centre at Khonghampat, Arboretum etc.
2. In-Situ Conservation : Areas having adequate natural flora and fauna are declared as National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries. They are known as the Protected Areas Networks (PAN). The entry of human and cattle inside the area is strictly under control. No dead, dying or diseased plants can be removed from such areas. The example of this category are the Keibul Lamjao National Park and Yangoupokpi Lokchao Wildlife Sanctuary.
Existing Ex-situ and In-situ conservation sites in Manipur are as follows:-
1. Keibul Lamjao National Park
2. Yaingangpokpi Lokchao Wildlife Sanctuary
3. Manipur Zoological Garden
4. Orchid Preservation Centre, Khonghampat
There is a proposal to create the following Protected Areas in Manipur.
1. Siroi National Park
2. Kailam Wild Life Sanctuary
3. Jiri Makru Wild Life Sanctuary
4. Zeilad Wild Life Sanctuary
5. Buning Wild Life Sanctuary
3. Wildlife Protected Areas in Manipur(2006-07) : View wildlife protected areas in Manipur as PDF Document.